Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Misunderstood Mystery

I could perhaps spend a bit explaining the title of my blog. Word by word is best .

Clouds.

Clouds are so misunderstood. They are always associated with such sadness but people can be on cloud 9 and be happy. We often speak about grey skies clearing or the sun coming out from the behind the clouds as signs of hope. However, growing up in the heat of Texas, a cloud was often a bit of relief from the pounding rays of the sun. For just a second I could look at the sky without frying my retinas.
For most of my childhood clouds were like a piece of fiction. I blame Peter Pan for my desire to lay in the clouds and bounce and sink through the clouds at will.
I could never narrow clouds down to one state of matter, they fluctuated between a solid, liquid, and a gas depending on what I felt that day. However, my romance with the clouds was brought to an abrupt end when in sixth grade science we learned the technicalities of weather. Clouds are nothing but masses of water droplets and gas that are white due to the efficient scattering of light particles. Not only that, they were separated into groups--favorite being the cumulous and least favorite the stringy cirrus-- like the animal species that bored me in other sciences. The groupings according to altitude and molecular makeup remind me a bit of the social cliques in school, which was another key aspect middle school life.
Clouds, like everything else in life are beautiful and mysterious ideas until you break them down into their smaller parts. Is it better to see the world in the former fashion or should we know everything there is to know? If we know everything, where will the mystery of life go? However, if we know nothing we face the possibility of missing out on something valuable. Where’s the line?

1 comment:

  1. Good post. The funny thing is that if you get more in depth into the composition of cloud-mater they become mysterious again... mystery always is out there...

    ReplyDelete