Sunday, January 24, 2010

Just Be

"Be who you are."

What does that even mean?

Everyone, myself included, wants to be smarter, have more money, be better looking, be more athletic, or possess exceptional talents in the arts. I find myself going about my day doing everything within my power to achieve these ideals and realize, only when I am spent, that I have left myself behind. What about just being as I am? Striving for excellence is great, but being a different person is not an achievement; it’s artificial. The hardest thing to do is to look inside and pull out the best bits of yourself.

Being exactly who you are is a beautiful challenge. You cannot model yourself off another person or copy their tendencies. You are the only you; which is the beautiful part. You cannot be replicated, cloned and improved upon, or erased. You just are. We all just are.

Does being who you are condone becoming complacent? No, it means quite the opposite, really. Accepting the good, and bad, parts of your person allows you to be realistic in the areas in which you improve upon yourself and those you leave alone. Maybe I am a few pounds overweight. Maybe I suck at math and my work ethic leaves something to be desired. Maybe my writing only scratches the surface of an idea. These things are perfect opportunities for growth. Opportunities to grow into the people we should be are not to be ignored.

The plan is. Grow. Focus. Learn; but most of all, just be.

No comments:

Post a Comment